Science and Technology Corporation (STC) is part of a team recently selected by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to design and develop the Earth Prediction Innovation Center (EPIC), an extramural center that will unite academia, industry and government to help create the most user-friendly and user-accessible, comprehensive Earth modeling system. EPIC is a national priority supported by the Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act of 2017, which calls for NOAA to prioritize improving weather data, modeling, computing, forecasting, and warnings for the protection of life and property and to enhance the national economy.
Through EPIC, STC will help NOAA accelerate community-developed scientific and technological advances to its operational numerical weather prediction and support the development and advancement of an end-to-end Unified Forecast System in collaboration with scientists from the federal, academic, and private sectors.
STC is seeking to fill multiple openings to support this effort, including leadership positions, requiring a broad range of skills and training to include software and computational engineering, systems engineering, infrastructure engineering, cloud services, user support services, and governance. Specific responsibilities include:
- Support technical, managerial, and oversight aspects of developing the UFS, including development of a model code base and environment that is easily maintainable, extensible, performance optimized, and appropriately portable to the extent that the academic and research community can efficiently get access and experiment with the model code base as well as efficiently make contributions.
- Work directly with scientists in a cross disciplinary environment to implement software using standardized software development practices and principals. Includes support to software development and code optimization services.
- Work with contributors to ensure that delivered science code is cloud–ready, containerized, and optimized for performance on R&D and operational HPC systems.
- Ensure the cloud and containerized version of Program capabilities are optimized for performance on R&D and operational HPC systems.
- Lead collaboration with science contributors to the Program, providing person-to-person consultation on Program established code methods for the implementation of science algorithms.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) outreach and assistance services to the UFS community contributing to the Program. Bring program methods, practices, and principles to contributors through direct engagement, community events, and the development/evolution of ways to efficiently perform these activities.
If you have skills and experience in any of the areas above please apply to this announcement using this link: https://careers-stcnet.icims.com/jobs/1910/job to register interest. Please be sure to return to this site or our STC Careers page regularly for immediate and upcoming openings.
We look forward to potentially working with you in the very near future!